Photo Journal Entry #3: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #2: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #1: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #3: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #3: The Making of “A Helping Hand”

This photo was taken after a long night of tracking the guitars for “A Helping Hand”. I remember hearing, “Cody, look at me..” I locked eyes with the lens immediately, Rose capturing a moment in time.

As I mentioned in the first two entries, this song was recorded on a reel to reel tape machine. Matt and I had decided to send the audio of each guitar track through his vintage Silvertone 1482 amplifier to get a more driven, live tone. This process is called "re-amping", and doesn't necessarily apply only to amps. We used a similar method with boutique guitar pedals to further modify tones I had created with my tape machine. As much as I would like to tell you the exact pedal combination we used, I would like to keep a part of the process a mystery. I will tell you that the guitar featured on the track as well as this photo is a Fender Jazzmaster. The beautiful thing about music is that there are no rules. Music is what you make it. Make it what you must. I want to give a shout-out to everyone who has supported my release thus far! It means the world. For those of you who still haven’t had a chance to check it out, feel free to stop by the “Music” tab. Enjoy!

Photo by Rosemary Vega

Photo Journal Entry #2: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #2: The Making of “A Helping Hand”

This photo was taken during the process of recording the drums for “A Helping Hand”. I ended up using two Shure SM57’s, one on the snare drum and one on the floor tom, a Shure Beta 52A on the kick drum and a BLUE Spark for the overhead. I maxed out the input volume on channels one and two of my tape machine, smashing the kick and snare. I let the floor tom and overhead hit red on the tape machine, allowing the clean signal to be pushed ever so slightly. After listening back, Matt and I decided to use the audio of the kick, floor tom and overhead. We agreed that the overhead microphone captured plenty of snare, and that muting the snare mic allowed the overall kit to sound more traditional and open. That being said, if you search you will find.

Photo by Rosemary Vega

Photo Journal Entry #1: The Making of “A Helping Hand”
       
     
Photo Journal Entry #1: The Making of “A Helping Hand”

This photo was taken during the process of writing the bassline for “A Helping Hand”. I had decided early on after doing numerous tests, that I would be recording each instrument directly into my Tascam 34B, which some would call “straight to tape”. This was an approach that I had yet to take, resulting in a much more saturated sound with an emphasis on each piece of equipment being used. In this case, an Epiphone Thunderbird held together by flat wounds. I would like to thank my friend Ted Jamison for letting me adopt this bass for the time being.

Photo by Rosemary Vega